Benefits, State Services and Discharge Catagories

There are many possible benefits available to you and your immediate family members including (qualifications apply for all benefits):

  • Military service compensation for injuries and illnesses caused, incurred or aggravated while on Active Duty
  • Pension
  • Aid and attendance/Housebound Allowance
  • Education 1-888-442-4551
  • Life insurance 1-800-669-8477
  • Home loans 1-888-244-6711
  • Vocational rehabilitation 303-914-5550
  • Dependent Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
  • VA medical treatment with enrollment
  • Counseling/Mental Health Care: Veterans may call 1-800-273 TALK (8255) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Press “1” for immediate help or text 83-8255.
  • Burial benefits
  • CHAMPVA/Health Administration 1-800-733-8387
  • Agent Orange Registry, Atomic Veteran Registry, and Gulf War Registry – call the VA Medical Center 1-888-336-8262 or 303-399-8020


State Programs and Services:

  • Benefits Representation for a variety of types of claims
  • Community Outreach and Advocacy
  • Colorado States Veterans Cemetery – Grand Junction, Colorado
  • Veterans Employment Preference and Benefit Letters
  • Operation Recognition
  • Colorado State and Veterans Nursing Homes
  • DD214 and Medals Request


Please note: some benefits depend on residency, military component, type of discharge and Veteran disability status.


Other than Honorable/Dishonorable Discharge

In general, a veteran loses all benefits if a dishonorable discharge was received. You may request an upgrade (see the dd214 page). A request for an upgrade is completed through the Department of Defense not the VA. Veterans with an Other than Honorable (OTH) and who have a medical condition, physical or mental, related to military service may be able to receive treatment through the VA if they file and are awarded a service-connected disability for their condition. In these cases, veterans can only receive medical treatment for their service-connected disability.

General and General Under less than Honorable Conditions

For VA purposes, this discharge category has nearly the same restrictions as a dishonorable discharge. However, contrary to popular belief, these discharges do not automatically upgrade to an honorable discharge after six months of a veteran leaving military service. In order to receive an upgrade to un under honorable condiitions discharge, the veteran must apply for and receive the upgrade from the Department of Defense.


2016 Benefit Guide