Veterans License Plates
Disabled Veterans License Plate
Veterans meeting the requirements may apply through the Division of Motor Vehicles for one free Disabled Veteran Plate. To apply you will need to submit::
- Completed application Disabled Veteran License Plate Application
- DD214 demonstrating honorable discharge
- An eligibility letter from the Veterans Affairs office stating: 1) the veteran has a 50% or greater disability and 2) the disability is service connected and 3) the disability is permanent. To obtain the letter call 303-284-6077 or go to the Denver VA Regional Office public contact at 155 Van Gordon, Lakewood, CO.
- The registration of the vehicle if currently registered or a title receipt or title completion notice from the County
- Colorado vehicle title
- Proof of Insurance
Recently, many Colorado counties began issuing military exempt license plates, a complete list is below. If your county of residence is not listed, your military exempt license plate will be issued through the state.
Adams, Alamosa, Arapahoe, Bent, Boulder, Broomfield, Chaffee, Cheyenne, Costilla, Delta, Denver, Douglas, Eagle, Elbert, El Paso, Fremont, Garfield, Gilpin, Grand, Jefferson, La Plata, Lake, Larimer, Las Animas, Lincoln, Mesa, Moffat, Montrose, Morgan, Otero, Ouray, Park, Pueblo, Rio Blanco, Routt, Sedgwick, Teller, Washington, Weld.
If your county is not listed submit the packet to:
Colorado Department of Revenue Division of Motor Vehicles
1881 Pierce Street
Lakewood, CO 80214-3503
Department of Revenue Title and Registration Section
PO BOX 173350
Denver, CO 80217-3350
This plate does not permit the owner to park his/her vehicle or a vehicle in which they are a passenger in designated disability parking spaces.
Branch and Award Specific Plates
The State of Colorado offers veterans a distinct license plate to display their service in the Armed Forces through a Military Veteran Recognition License Plate Program. The veteran must provide proof of military service and/or proof of award of a military related medal. To obtain a “VETERAN” license plate take your DD-214 to your local DMV Office. License plates include: U.S. Air Force, Fallen Air Force, U.S. Army, Fallen Army, U.S. Army Special Forces, U.S. Coast Guard, Fallen Coast Guard, U.S. Marines, Fallen Marines, U.S. Navy, Fallen Navy, Fallen Navy, Honorably Discharged Veteran, Veteran of Afghanistan War, Korean War Veteran, Veteran of Iraq War, Veteran of World War II, National Guard, Vietnam veteran, 4th Infantry and NORAD.
Medals available include:
- Congressional Medal of Honor
- Silver Star
- Navy Cross
- Air Force Cross
- Bronze Star with Valor
- Bronze Star
- Pearl Harbor Survivor
- Prisoner of War
- Purple Heart
- Distinguished Service Cross.