Operation recognition is a program to award high school diplomas to deserving and qualified World War II, Korea, and Vietnam era Veterans. Operation Recognition is authorized by Colorado State Law and is offered by the Colorado Board of Veterans Affairs in cooperation with the Colorado Department of Education and the Colorado Association of School Boards. The program operates on a voluntary basis among those High Schools.
This is a program providing high school diplomas to the veterans who left school to defend freedom. What started out as only a vision and a promise to honor and thank the veterans who were former high school students who left school to serve our nation in her time of need has become a national program titled “Operation Recognition”. “Operation Recognition” honors the individuals who are the true heroes and real patriots of our country. One day these individuals were carrying textbooks and the next they were carrying weapons in order to protect our nation and preserve our freedom. The sacrifices they made changed their lives and teenage experiences, and in turn, made ours better. A WW II veteran was quoted as saying, “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards.” Each and every veteran obtained experience the hard way and then learned the lessons of life
Upon request a diploma may be awarded to the honorably discharged veteran or veteran’s family member if requesting posthumously if he/she:
- Served in the Armed forces: WWII, Korea, Vietnam
- Left High School before graduating on order to serve in the U.S. Armed forces
- Is at least 60 years of age
- Has not received a high school diploma (may hold a GED)
- At the time of making the request, resides within the school district or
- At the time of leaving High School to serve in the U.S. armed forces, resided within the school district.
- Copy of Honorably Discharged paper
Applications must be verified by a State Department of Veterans Affairs representative and turned into the local County Board of Education.
Point of Contact:
707 S. Memphis Way
Aurora, CO 80017