National Guard Benefits, Education, and Records

Benefits for Reserve and National Guard

If you have never been called to active federal duty in general do not qualify for VA benefits. However, if you have never been called to active federal service you should not assume you do or do not qualify. You will want to make an appointment with one of our qualified veteran service officers to discuss your individual case.


Health and Insurance Benefits

Full medical and dental coverage for any injury or illness incurred in the line of duty.

State-Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) Current active members of the Colorado National Guard are automatically protected with $1,000 of SSLI at no charge. Additional coverage is available. or 1-800-462-7441.


Education Benefits

Colorado National Guard Tuition Assistance is available to any member of the CONG whose sole residency is Colorado. The CONG member is eligible for State Tuition Assistance up to 100% tuition paid at any approved Colorado state-funded school depending on funding available. State funding can be used in conjunction with Federal Tuition assistance.


National Guard Records:
The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs Archives hold the military personnel records pertaining to, Retired members of the Colorado Army National Guard, Discharged members of the Colorado Army National Guard, Retired members of the Colorado Air National Guard and Discharged members of the Colorado Air National Guard. Due to the number of full time COARNG personnel that have been activated and deployed Archives may not have your records if you have were discharged or retired from the Colorado Army National Guard within the last 36 months. If we do not have your records you must contact the COARNG Military Personnel Office (MILPO) at 720-250-1330/1331 to determine the status of your records.


Applying for your Guard/Reserve Retired Pay

For most military members your retirement pay does not automatically appear in your bank account when you turn 60. In order to receive your retirement pay you must complete a Reserve Retired Pay Application first. Remember to return the packet on time (some branches mail it to you as early as your 58th birthday) otherwise  you may face penalties. For more information or to request your packet:


  • Air Force Reserve and National Guard: Air Reserve Personnel Center Retirements Branch – HQ ARPC/DPPR – 6760 E. Irvington Place, Denver, CO  80280-1900; 800-525-0102
  • Army Reserve and National Guard: US Army HRC Attn: AHRC-PDR-RCR, 1600 Spearhead Division Ave., Dept 420, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402; 800-813-5298 or 888-276-9472
  • Coast Guard Reserve: Commanding Officer, Coast Guard Personnel Center, 444 S.E. Quincy St., Topeka, KS 66683-3591; 785-339-2200 or 866-772-8724
  • Marine Corps Reserve: Marine Corps Mobilization Command, 15303 Andrews Road, Kansas City, MO 64147 ; 800-255-5082 ext. 3395/3396/3397/3398
  • Navy Reserve: Commanding Officer, Navy Reserve Personnel Center, 5722 Integrity Drive, Bldg. 239, Millington, TN 38054; 866-250-4778