Women Veterans


For Colorado Women Veterans

The Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs, Women Veterans Program provides access to the benefits and resources you are entitled to


Women Veterans Benefits Q&A

Who is the State Women Veterans Coordinator for Colorado?

Life after military service can be challenging. Women Veterans face unique challenges and needs
including, health care, employment, finances, education, and housing. If you have questions,
concerns, or ideas of how we can better serve our female veteran population please contact the
State Women Veterans Coordinator:

Jaclyn Murrietta
State Veteran Service Officer, State Women Veterans Coordinator
Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs

Am I a Military Veteran?

A military veteran is person who has served in any branch of the United States Armed Forces, to include Guard and Reserve.

How Many Women Veterans reside in Colorado?

The number of Women Veterans for the State of Colorado is 44,661.

Did you know you may be eligible for State and Federal benefits?

There are many women in our community who do not realize they are veterans.
There is a misconception that only males, certain branches of the military, war time veterans,
or wounded veterans are entitled to state or federal benefits. The truth is all veterans are eligible for benefits depending on his or her unique situation.

Am I eligible for benefits?

If you received an honorable or other than honorable
discharge you are eligible for benefits. The exception
is for veterans who received a dishonorable discharge
because of sexual orientation or during the Vietnam Era
due to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Changes
in policy, progress in mental health, and an understanding
of PTSD have allowed veterans to request an upgrade in their
character of service.

What are my potential benefits?

Compensation and Pension

Education and Training

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

Healthcare and Mental Health Services

Property Tax Exemption

Home Loans


Burial and Memorial Services

Who can assist me with obtaining my benefits?

A trained Veteran Service Officer (VSO) can be your advocate,
and assist you and your family with obtaining the benefits
you are entitled to. Please access the following link to find
the VSO nearest you or contact Jaclyn Murrietta at,
303-284-6077, to be connected to a VSO in your area.


Is there a VSO who can assist me with my benefits at the Bill Daniels Veteran Service Center/VA CRRC?

Yes, every Tuesday there is a SVSO from the CO-DMVA who can assist you with obtaining benefits that you might be eligible for.

Carolyn Frengel
State Veteran Service Officer
1247 Santa Fe Dr., Denver CO, 80204
Hours of Operation:

Is there a way to manage my benefits online?

Yes, the Department of Veterans Affairs and the DOD created a website to help you manage your benefits. Please click on the link below to learn more.


Who can I contact to learn more about additional benefits as a Native American Woman Veteran in Colorado?

About VA’s Office of Tribal Government Relations (OTGR)

The OTGR team works to strengthen and build closer relations between the VA, tribal governments and other key federal, state, private and non-profit partners in an effort to effectively and respectfully serve Veterans across Indian Country. This work is done in the spirit of government to government consultation and collaboration, respectful of the special relationship that exists between the United States and tribal governments.

Our efforts focus on three important goals: facilitating VA’s Tribal Consultation Policy, facilitating increased access to health care and promoting economic sustainability (highlighting opportunities for Veterans to access fiscal, educational, housing and other special programs and benefits through the VA).

We bring key partners to the table to address important issues raised by tribal leaders. Linking decision makers and stake holders to tribal leadership ensures Indian Country’s Veterans know who we at VA are, what VA offers Veterans and how to reach VA to ensure access to the full range of services and benefits our Veterans have courageously earned through their service.

Homana Pawiki
Office of Tribal Government Relations Specialist
(Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah)
928-445-4860 x5306
Prescott, AZ

VA Health Care

What comprehensive medical services are available to women?

  • Health promotion and disease prevention
  • Primary care
  • Women’s gender-specific care (HRT, breast and gynecology, maternity)
  • Substance abuse
  • Mental health
  • Domiciliary
  • Rehabilitation and long-term care
  • Maternity

How do I enroll to receive gender-specific services including pap smear, mammography, prenatal and child care?

All veterans are encouraged to enroll in the VA Health Care System. You have several options to gain access to VA Health Care. Your VSO can assist you with obtaining the 10-10EZ, Application for Health Benefits, you can bring your DD214 to the nearest CBOC/VA hospital, or you can enroll online.

For more information on enrollment call 1-877-222-VETS.

Does the VA have Prosthetic and Sensory Aids Services (PSAS) available for Women Veterans?

VA Prosthetic and Sensory Aids Service (PSAS), the VA Center for Women Veterans, and VHA Women Health Services collaborate closely to address the unique needs of women Veterans and provide the most comprehensive and advanced prosthetic devices, sensory aids, and associated services in the world. The term “prosthetic” includes any medical device that supports or replaces loss of a body part or function. Any specialized, medically indicated item that is commercially available may be procured based on the Veteran’s individualized needs, including customized devices such as bracing, artificial limbs and orthotic items, and wheelchairs. PSAS provides comprehensive support to optimize the health and independence of all Veterans, regardless of gender.

PSAS specifically supports women Veterans providing them the highest level of service and items to meet their unique needs; e.g., Breast Pumps, Nursing Bras, Post Mastectomy Items, Wigs for Alopecia, Long Acting Reversible Contraception (e.g. Intrauterine Devices), Maternity Support Belts Items, Vaginal Dilators, etc.

Who do I call if I want to learn more about my VA women’s health benefits?

Women Veterans Call Center

Who are the Women Veteran Program Manager’s for VA Health Care in Colorado?

Carole Donsbach, RN MPH
Women Veterans Program Manager
Eastern Colorado VA Health Care System
1055 Clermont street,
Denver, Colorado 80220
303-399-8020 Ext: 2467


Pamela Schultz, RN-BC
Women Veterans Program Manager
Grand Junction Veterans Health Care System
2121 North Avenue
Grand Junction, CO  81501
970-263-2800 Ext. 2508


Who do I call for a medical appointment?

Denver 303-399-8020

Grand Junction 970-242-0731

Colorado Springs 719-327-5660

Pueblo 719-553-1000

If you are already enrolled as a Denver Women’s Clinic patient call 303-399-8020 x 3880.

Where can I get inpatient psychiatric care?
Contact your VA primary care provider or the local VA mental health program office for assistance. If you are already receiving care from a counselor/provider consult with him/her.

Denver VA Mental Health Clinic
303-399-8020 Ext. 2835

Grand Junction
970-242-0731 Ext.2824

Who do I call if I am experiencing a crisis?

Veterans Crisis Hotline

Where can I get treatment for conditions related to sexual assault or sexual harassment while in the military?

You may be eligible for Military Sexual Trauma (MST) related care. Every VA facility provides free care for mental and physical health conditions related to MST. Veterans do not need a service-connected disability to seek assistance for their MST related issues. Further, Veterans do not need to have reported such incidents to the DOD or possess documentation or records to support their assertion of trauma. Veterans also do not need to be enrolled in VA health care as the treatment for MST is independent of VA’s general treatment authority. To receive care, ask your VA provider for a referral to MST services.

Who are the MST coordinators for the VA Eastern Health Care System?

Women Veterans Psychologist: Dr. Shelby Scott (MST, therapy, women’s groups, etc.)
Veteran Psychologist: Dr. Christopher Immel (MST)
303-399-8020 Ext: 4224

Who is the MST Coordinator for the Grand Junction Veterans Health Care System?

Mary McDonald, LCSW

After Hours
970-263-2800 Ext. 2346 (Leave a message)

Can I receive Disability Compensation for MST?

Yes, please click on this link to earn more about compensation you may be eligible for.


What Women Veteran Groups are available at the Denver and Golden VA?

Women’s Wellness Group
Dr. Shelby Scott, 303-399-8020 Ext. 4224 or Dr. Odessia Knowles at Ext. 5849

Women’s PTSD Group
Dr. Shelby Scott at 303-399-8020, Ext: 4224

Women’s Depression and Anxiety Group
Dr. Shelby Scott at 303-399-8020, Ext: 4224

Female Vet to Vet Group
Dr. Shelby Scott at 303-399-8020, Ext: 4224

Woman Veteran Chronic Pain Group
Dr. Dominika Borowa, 303-399-8020 Ext. 4033

Women’s Yoga All Levels
VA Golden 2nd Floor Conf Rm (Michelle-Maura Observe)
1020 Johnson Rd., Golden, CO 80401

What if I am a Vietnam Veteran and my child has a birth defect?
Children born to women Veterans who served in Vietnam may be eligible for monthly monetary benefits, medical care and vocational training if they have certain birth defects linked to their mother’s service. Contact your Veterans Service Officer for more information.

Is there a way to access my VA Health records online?

Yes, you have a way to access your VA Health records online. Depending on your access level, you might have the ability to refill prescriptions online. Please click on the link below to learn more.


Transitional Shelters and Resources

Are there transitional shelters available for women veterans?

Volunteers of America: Women Veterans Program
Volunteers of America Women Veterans Services Programs serve Veterans experiencing homelessness through emergency services and transitional housing. In partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs, Volunteers of America assists Veterans in obtaining the support and services they need to exit homelessness permanently. The program assists women Veterans and their children for up to 24 months with supportive housing, case management, and resources with the goal of helping each client secure a permanent and sustainable housing situation. During their time in the program, Volunteers of America houses participants at the Volunteers of America Family Motel or Clermont Commons, three beautiful five-bedroom transitional homes in Denver for women Veterans and their children. For more information, please leave a message with your contact information on the referral line at 720-501-3369.


Comitis Crisis Center:
Transitional VA shelter
For veterans and their families as they gain self-sufficiency
For more information: 303-341-9160

  • For single female veterans and male/female veterans with families
  • Meals, hygiene items and seasonal clothing available
  • Case management and financial literacy classes


The Delores Project: Emergency Shelter with Basic Services
The Delores Project welcomes unaccompanied Women and Transgender Individuals
To access the emergency shelter call:
303-534-5411 at 5:30 pm daily
First time quests may also call on Mondays at 10:00 am
Returning guests may also call on Mondays at 11:30 am


How do I obtain emergency assistance with payment of my utility bills, rent, mortgage, etc.?
Many local churches, Veterans organizations, and community organizations may be able to assist veterans in need. In Denver:

  • Denver Human Services 720-944-2900
  • American Red Cross Denver 303-722-7474
  • Denver Rescue Mission 303-294-0157
  • Samaritan House Veteran Program 303-996-6057
  • Colorado Housing and Finance Authority 1-800-877-2432
  • Catholic Charities 303-742-0828
  • The Home Front Cares, Inc. 719-434-1501
  • American Military Family, Inc. 303-746-8195
  • Operation Homefront Rocky Mountains 866-333-2750

What number do I call if I am homeless or at risk of becoming homeless?

VA Homeless Veterans Hotline 1-877-4AID-VET (877-424-3838)

Rocky Mountain Human Services

Family Tree Back Home Supportive Services for Veteran Families


Dress for Success (Denver)

The mission of Dress for Success is to empower women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.

Women’s Resource Agency (Colorado Springs)

Participants receive:

  • Individualized coaching for personal and career development
  • Job search skills
  • Interview and resume assistance
  • Computer training
  • Workshops to alleviate stress and further their professional growth
  • Access to our signature Suit-Up for Success program for interview and employment clothing

VA Vocational Assistance

This program is for participants who are not Compensated Work Therapy clients, rather they are veterans who require assistance to better facilitate their own job search.

Programs include:

  • Job Club: Meets the 3rd Thursday monthly (except December) between 9-11 in Building C. Veterans meet with employers who are currently hiring, network with others, learn about veterans employment services available through local workforce centers; and meet with local veteran employment specialists
  • Computer Lab: meets Wednesdays (1-3) and Thursday (2-4) at the Vet Center providing basic computer and internet skills, resume writing, and provides internet access for online job searches.
  • One-on-One Assistance: Provides short-term assistance with resumes and applications, interviewing skills, job search strategies and job referrals. Available by appointment only.

For more information contact the program manager: Dr. Jeff Scott 720-680-6464.

Legal Services

Who can I contact for legal aid and pro bono services in Colorado?


Colorado State Bar Lawyer referral Services Program

Colorado Legal Services (Low Cost or Free)

Colorado Lawyers for Colorado Veterans

A.C.T.S. Resource Center

Colorado Women Veterans Organizations

Women Veterans of Colorado





American Legion Post 206 (Female Post)



Women Marines Association, Colorado Columbine – WM History Chapter CO-1


Women’s Army Corps Veterans’ Association-Army Women United-Colorado Springs Chapter 75, Denver Chapter 76



The Well Armed Woman-Pike Peak Region, CO Chapter


Women Veterans of the Colorado San Luis Valley


National Women Veterans Organizations

Is there a list of national women veterans organizations?

Yes, please click on the link below to find a list of women veterans organizations and sites: